[Users] GCC and Exhausted memory

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 14:31:33 EST 2009

> ----- "John Drescher" <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have modified the metro code (look at the drescherjm fork of metro)
>> a little to generate VEs for DNS servers and mail servers and I plan
>> to add samba PDCs as well so that in 5 minutes after some failure I
>> can add a brand new VE to my network to replace either a hardware
>> server or an other virtual server. And I actually needed that last
>> week to replace both dns servers and a mail server because of a
>> software failure in a gentoo xen box.
>
> Any chance you'd be interested in the vzpkg2 and pkg-cacher project?  It would be nice if Gentoo support could be added to it.
>
> 1) Software packaging - It would be nice if the vzpkg2 and pkg-cacher apps were easily installable on Gentoo so you could build the various OS Templates that metadata packages are available for

I do not have any time for that. Sorry.

> 2) Gentoo build - If metro is something that could be ported to rpm and deb distros, make it an option dep for vzpkg2 and add metadata packages for Gentoo so that a Gentoo OS Template could easily be built on the supported host node distros

Metro is a stage3 build tool created by Daniel Robbins (who created
gentoo in the first place). I believe he talks about adding support
for other distributions but I am not sure how much work that would be.

Here is some more info on metro:
http://wiki.github.com/funtoo/metro

John