[Users] GCC and Exhausted memory

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 12:28:48 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Yettyn <yettyn at astrocalc.com> wrote:
> I have noticed lately, in VE's that has been working fine for a long time
> now compiling etc., suddenly it's not possible to compile gcc unless
> increasing memory resources insanely much and I am talking about 1GB+ here,
> anyone else noticed this?

I am also on gentoo. I can say that gcc does fail on VEs unless you
have high limits.  As a result I limit the building inside the VE and
make sure the -j param is also low. Note that the default limits are
ridiculously low for any system I have ever ran.

> I am running linux-2.6.24-openvz-006.5 kernel, on a Gentoo box and all VE's
> ('8') are also running Gentoo, the box have 2GB+ RAM and a Core Duo 2 CPU
> (2.66 mhz I think)

I would add more ram if it's only 2GB you can. 4GB of DDR2 memory is
$50 US right now. Generally my gentoo HN are 4 or 8GB desktop machines
running x86_64.

In the last month I have switched over to pregenerating my VEs using metro.

See www.funtoo.org.

I have modified the metro code (look at the drescherjm fork of metro)
a little to generate VEs for DNS servers and mail servers and I plan
to add samba PDCs as well so that in 5 minutes after some failure I
can add a brand new VE to my network to replace either a hardware
server or an other virtual server. And I actually needed that last
week to replace both dns servers and a mail server because of a
software failure in a gentoo xen box.

John