[Users] Suggestion for a new parameter: PRIMARY_IP

Marcin Owsiany marcin at owsiany.pl
Fri Jan 9 14:53:57 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 06:14:49PM +0100, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong, but given that you have only one
> > interface, I
> > don't think that routing can affect address binding (which happens
> > waaay before
> > the kernel gets to routing any packets).
>
> What is we simple add 'private' IPs after visible IPs?

That would make me happy, at least for my current setup. Although it's
possible that someone might have a more complicated internal network,
where some RFC1918 network is NATed to the outside world, but others
not. It would not be sufficient in such case.

Another thing to remember is that detecting an RFC1918 address might be
non-trivial - there are networks with mask lengths that are not multiple
of 8, so it would not always be a simple prefix match, I think.

Note: above I'm assuming you meant:

> What if we simply add 'private' IPs after visible IPs to the interface?

Please let me know if you meant something else.

--
Marcin Owsiany <marcin at owsiany.pl>              http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216

"Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail."
                                                              -- Unknown