[Users] [PVE-User] iptables -L -t nat not working inside VE

Pongracz Istvan pongracz.istvan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 06:52:51 EST 2009

Hi All,

I try to use iptables rules inside the container but it seems, nat table
is not accessible inside the container:

# iptables -L -t nat
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24-1-pve/modules.dep: No such
file or directory
iptables v1.3.6: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not
exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I googled around but I did not find solution for this
problem.

I use Proxmox version of openvz, which is based on debian.
2.6.24-openvz kernel
I think, you know them, their developers are on this list :)

I used the following systems as VE for testing this problem:
debian
   - lenny i386
   - etch i386
   - etch amd64

I found that, if I try to load ip_conntrack on the HN by modprobe
ip_conntrack, nothing happens.
This module does not appear on the list (lsmod).
There is nothing in the dmesg log.

Sometimes I got this dmesg error, I think that time, when '-m state '
exists in the iptables parameters:
'can't load conntrack support for proto=2'

I have this line in my vz.conf to enable modules for VEs:

IPTABLES="ipt_REJECT ipt_tos ipt_limit ipt_multiport iptable_filter
iptable_mangle ipt_TCPMSS ipt_tcpmss \
          ipt_ttl ipt_length ip_conntrack ip_conntrack_ftp
ip_conntrack_irc ipt_LOG ipt_conntrack ipt_helper \
          ipt_state iptable_nat ip_nat_ftp ip_nat_irc ipt_TOS  "

Normal iptables rules are working but NAT and related parameters.
On the hardware node there is a well working shorewall firewall, if it
does matter....

Does anybody know this behaviour and the solution (if there is any
solution)?

Further investigation is possible, if somebody has an idea :)
I'm more or less out with fresh ideas at this moment.

Thanks in advance,
István

--
BSA. Mert megérdemlitek.