[Users] Re: vzsplit does not work

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jan 7 17:45:17 EST 2009

Albinootje,

----- "albinootje" <albinootje at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm one of the sysadmins of a server which is used for webhosting.
> Since a few years we're using OpenVZ with Debian Etch.
> The vzctl version from Debian we use is 3.0.11-14.
>
> Why are you saying it is "basically unusable" ?
> Imho you are exaggerating a little here.

Ok, I'll bite.  I've exaggerated.  It is usable if you don't run into any of the problems it has.

Having not used it I can't speak from personal experience but I can convey the sentiments of a Debian user who was having all sorts of problems with it that upgrading to the packages provided by the OpenVZ project fixed.  There have been a lot of fixes to vzctl with each release.  Here's the git log:

http://git.openvz.org/?p=vzctl;a=shortlog

I think it works better with certain kernel builds and worse with others.

Getting back to the user's problem, he has vzsplit that doesn't work.  Any ideas as to why his vzsplit doesn't work?  Does your vzsplit work?  I'm guessing the combination of the newer 2.6.26 kernel and an older vzctl is making the problem worse than the combination you have... but yeah, I'm guessing.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street