[Users] Suggestion for a new parameter: PRIMARY_IP

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Mon Jan 5 04:43:28 EST 2009

> On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 09:21:42AM +0100, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> > How does adding an additional setting like PRIMARY_IP help? Instead
> > you can simply change the order of IP_ADDRESS. What is the
> difference?
>
> Changing the order would influence both /etc/hosts and
> /etc/network/interfaces in the same way. I want them different.

The question is why you want that.

> Any process running in a CT that does not explicitly bind() to a
specific
> address, will have the local endpoint address set to the first one in
> IP_ADDRESS from the CT configuration. [1]

The manual page (ip(7)) states something different. Either you pass an
specific address to bind, or use some special address like INADDR_ANY.
All application I know use gethostbyname to get the address (hostname +
/etc/hosts).

So if you application depends on the order of /etc/network/interfaces
I would consider that an application error. What application are we
talking about?

- Dietmar