[Users] OpenSwan help please?

Faris Raouf asterisk at raouf.net
Tue Feb 17 07:44:02 EST 2009

Hi all,

I'm after a bit of help please. I need to get OpenSwan up and running in a
VE and I'm kind of lost.

I know that OpenVZ (and Virtuozzo, which I also use) supports tun/tap, and
from what I have read it would be relatively trivial to set up a VPN using
OpenVPN using tun. Unfortunately I need to use IKE+(IPSec tunnel|L2TP with
IPSec policy) because the other endpoint will be a Draytek hardware router
which only supports certain VPN configurations, which in turn means OpenSwan
seems to be the main option, and OpenVPN is out of the question.

But where to start? I've read various OpenSwan howtos but of course they
assume you won't be in a VE and there's no mention of tun. I'm missing the
very basics that would allow me to at least get experimenting. I'm also very
new to IPSec/VPN stuff in general.

On the assumption that tun is actually involved here, my first step is
obviously to get that enabled on the HN and the VE. But once that is
done.....what do I need to do in terms of any special configuration of
OpenSwan?

And if I'm barking up the wrong tree, where should I start?

Thanks,

Faris.