[Users] Broadcast traffic on veth interfaces

Jason Voorhees jvoorhees1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 10:26:05 EST 2009

Hi people:

I'm a newbie in OpenVZ world yet. With a little help of Google and
OpenVZ wiki I understood that it's necessary to use veth instead of
venet to be able to deal with broadcast traffic in a VE. This is true,
right?
So I created the corresponding veth to my VE and attached it to a
bridge. Now my VE has an eth0 interface, it has its own IP address and
works nicely: send and receive ICMP messages (with ping), I can get
into VE trough SSH, etc.

But I can see that broadcast traffic isn't working very well yet. My
VE is running a Samba server but I can't find its netbios name (from
the HN) using nmblookup. Also from the VE I can't find any netbios
host in my network using nmblookup except the VE host itself.

I followed the steps of the wiki:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Veth#Virtual_Ethernet_devices_can_be_joined_in_one_bridge

Do I need to do anything else in my OpenVZ environment?

Kernel: 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5.028stab060.2
vzctl version: vzctl version 3.0.23

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, bye