[Users] RE: Trouble getting the 4G (a.k.a. hugemem) patch to work.

Bailey, Darragh dbailey at hp.com
Thu Apr 9 08:55:55 EDT 2009

I'm guessing that you are using the 32bit version since 64bit version doesn't require a hugemem version to address about 4GB.

You should try using the PAE version, see the following post
http://www.mail-archive.com/rhelv5-list@redhat.com/msg04272.html

It explains that if you use the standard 32bit hugemem version that much of the memory area reserved for the kernel is used up for addressing the memory above 4GB. Where as the PAE kernel is for systems that support PAE, which has 36bits for addressing memory and will avoid any weird memory mapping issues all the way up to 64GB. Still though if you need a system with more than 16GB, you're better off using 64bit.

--
Regards,
Darragh Bailey

Systems Software Engineer
Hewlett Packard Galway Ltd.

Postal Address:    Hewlett Packard Galway Limited, Ballybrit Business Park, Galway
Registered Office: Hewlett Packard Galway Limited, 63-74 Sir John Rogerson's Quay Dublin 2
Registered Number: 361933

The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message in error you should delete it from your system immediately and advise the sender.
To any recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you should consider this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".