[Users] Trouble getting the 4G (a.k.a. hugemem) patch to work.

Edward Hibbert Edward.Hibbert at metaswitch.com
Thu Apr 9 06:41:00 EDT 2009

Apologies if this is a dumb FAQ.

I'm trying to get a kernel with what's known in the RedHat world as hugemem, i.e. 4G user space.  I've downloaded a -ent version of the 2.6.18 kernel, and also tried building one myself, but neither of these seems to allow me to exceed 3G.

The source code does seem to have 4G macros in it, and I find it hard to believe that the patch simply doesn't work - so I'm more inclined to think I'm doing something stupid.

Any suggestions?  Yes, yes, I know we should move to 64-bit, but that's not an option right now.

Regards,

Edward.