[Users] I'm testing out vzpkg2!

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri Sep 19 19:08:35 EDT 2008

Robert and Kir,

I spent quite a bit of time testing today.  My testing environment was a RHEL 5.2 x86_64 host node.

I tried to create an OS Template for every distro, distro version, and arch.  Then I created containers from each "default" OS Template.  Previously I mentioned I was going to do minimal/small but since a few smalls decided not to build, I decided to create containers from "default" OS Templates instead.

Once a container was created I'd test the following things:
  1) vzctl enter and see what processes were running
  2) If apache wasn't installed/running, I'd install it
  3) I'd browse the default webpage from my workstation
  4) I'd install mc and run it

If I have my numbers correct, that's 44 OS Templates and 19 containers.  Below are my findings.

OS Template Building Issues:
The following OS Templates would NOT build:
  fedora-8-i386-small,
  fedora-8-x86_64-small,
  fedora-9-i386-small,
  fedora-9-x86_64-small

I got the following error:
mv: cannot stat `/vz/root/100001/etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo': No such file or directory
ERROR: Script install-post failed

Container start problems:
The following OS Templates would start but I would not let me vzctl enter them:
  ubuntu-feisty-amd64-default,
  ubuntu-feisty-i386-default,
  ubuntu-gusty-amd64-default,
  ubuntu-gusty-i386-default,
  ubuntu-hardy-amd64-default,
  ubuntu-hardy-i386-default

I got the following error:
  Unable to open pty: No such file or directory

I believe the network was operational in the containers I could not enter because they would answer pings but vzlist only showed processes running none of which were network services I could test.

So of the 44 OS Templates, 4 failed to build (Fedora 8/9 i386/x86_64 small).
Of 19 containers, 6 failed testing (all Ubuntu).

Conclusions:
I'm impressed with how well it worked.  I'm impressed that the OS Templates were built to configure yum so that the containers would use the pkg-cache repos... and that I didn't have to reconfigure .repo or sources-list files to point to the local cache.

I do wonder if it is possible to use vzpkg2 without pkg-cacher?  I myself plan to use it (although I already have my own local repos) but perhaps not everyone would want to use it.

Robert.  Wow.  I'm impressed.  There are still some issues... but those are usually easily fixed minor details.  Expect my interview questions email this weekend... now that I know how it works, it gives me a better idea on what to ask.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street