[Users] VEs can't access the network

Samuel Vogel samydelux at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 20:14:43 EDT 2008

Hey guys,

After I have successfully created a template cache and a VE using it, I
am experiencing my next problem.
My VE can not access the network. I think it is the unique routing of my
provider (Hetzner.de), which is not covered in any of the HowTo's.
My HN has the IP 78.46.88.11. I have a configured an additional subnet,
which I want to take the IPs for the VEs out of. The first IP I want to
use is: 78.46.193.113
All the IPs of the subnet point to my HN right now.
The problem is that I don't know how to make the HN forward those IPs to
the VEs that have it assigned!

Here is my config:

/etc/sysctl.conf:
net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=1
net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts=1
kernel.sysrq = 1
net.ipv4.conf.default.forwarding = 1
net.ipv4.conf.default.proxy_arp = 0
net.ipv4.conf.default.send_redirects = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.send_redirects = 0

Commands used to create the VE:
vzctl create 100 --ostemplate debian-etch-amd64-minimal
vzctl set 100 --ipadd 78.46.193.113 --save
vzctl set 100 --nameserver 213.133.98.98 --nameserver 213.133.99.99
--nameserver 213.133.100.100 --save

Addition to vz.conf:
NEIGHBOUR_DEVS=all

proxy_arp is set by the if-up-down script:
#sysctl net.ipv4.conf.eth0.proxy_arp
net.ipv4.conf.eth0.proxy_arp = 100

Start of the VE:
# vzctl start 100
Starting VPS ...
VPS is mounted
Adding IP address(es): 78.46.193.113
Setting CPU units: 1000
File resolv.conf was modified
VPS start in progress...

What am I missing here?

I have looked at
http://wiki.openvz.org/VEs_and_HNs_in_different_subnets, but it does not
seem to be what I want.
It talks about the HN not having a public IP, which is not the case with
my setup.

Regards,
Samy