[Users] HN & VEs in multi-subnet VLAN

Tim Benoit tim at thebenoits.net
Wed Sep 17 20:36:03 EDT 2008

Hello all...

We're going to have a few servers in different segments but those
segments will be in the same VLAN.

Server1: 192.168.1.10/27 with VE @ .11
Server2: 192.168.1.12/27 with VE @ .13
Server3: 192.168.1.14/27 with VE @ .15
Server4: 192.168.1.16/27 with VE @ .17
Server5: 192.168.2.20/27 with VE @ .21 (notice the different segment)

Both segments are in VLAN100.

Our processes allow for "fail-over" from a failing server onto a good
server. We do this by using OpenVZ. So, if "Server5" should fail (let's
assume its CPU died), we would fail-over the "Server5" virtual
environment (which includes its IP Address) onto "Server1" and clients
will still be able to connect to their normal IP Address. Server1 would
then have 2 virtual environments, one on 192.168.1.11/27 and the other
on 192.168.2.21/27, and it's hardware node configured as 192.168.1.10/27.

A "fail-over" is not an automated process, but a restore from the last
backup of the VE onto another hardware node.

Will OpenVZ support this type of setup without additional configuration?

If additional configuration is required, and assistance is appreciated.

--
Thanks,

Tim Benoit
tim at thebenoits.net