[Users] New vzpkg, templates and package caching daemon

Robert Nelson robertn at the-nelsons.org
Wed Sep 10 14:39:24 EDT 2008

Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> A few more questions to Robert (sorry for top-posting)
>
> 1. Can you explain how you deal with chicken-and-egg problem? I mean,
> to run yum/rpm inside a VE you need to have those packages (and their
> deps) inside the VE. In "old" vzpkg, we use external rpm/yum (vzrpm
> and vzyum) to do that. Since you are not relying on that anymore, how
> do you perform an initial installation of rpm/yum/their dependencies
> in a newly created VE?

For creating the cache I use the standard yum/rpm on the HN.  Once a CT
is created the yum/rpm installed in it is used.

> (My own solution to this is to have a list of URLs to a few packages
> comprising a minimal system in which rpm could work, and then
> download/unpack (using rpm2cpio | cpio -id) those into a newly created
> empty container. When we can run rpm --initdb inside and do 'yum
> install <full list of packages>". The bad thing about that is
> (per-distro per-version list of) hard-coded package names and
> inability to use packages from "updates" repo since they are
> ever-changing (but packages in "base" repo should be OK).
>
> 2. Is it possible to have opensuse template metadata? AFAIK opensuse
> lacks yum and "you" (YaST Online Updater) should be used instead.

I'm working on that now :-)

OpenSUSE uses rpms and supports yum, but their command line tool is
zypper, gui is YaST.  Both YaST and zypper use yum/rpm compatible
repositories.

The problem I've hit is a slight difference in version checking.  If you
have a requirement that is EQ and it doesn't include a revision just a
version then zypper accepts any revision yum barfs.