[Users] New vzpkg, templates and package caching daemon

Robert Nelson robertn at the-nelsons.org
Sat Sep 6 11:55:28 EDT 2008

Roberto Mello wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Robert Nelson <robertn at the-nelsons.org> wrote:
>
>> I have a preliminary version of the new vzpkg utilities ready for testing.
>>
>> These new tools support creating templates for 32 and 64 bit flavours of the
>> following:
>>   Centos 4 and 5,
>>   Fedora 7, 8 and 9,
>>   Debian Sarge and Etch,
>>   Ubuntu Feisty, Gutsy and Hardy.
>>
>> They are extensible and will eventually support OpenSUSE and Gentoo.
>>

> Fantastic! Thanks for doing this and for sharing. Will definitely be
> taking a look at this.
>

>> In addition, I've created pkg-cacher, a transparent caching proxy daemon
>> optimized for Debian and RPM packages.  It is based on apt-cacher version
>> 1.6.4 available with Debian.  This version has been modified to understand
>> RedHat RPM repositiories.  It also adds support for the HTTP Range header
>> and deals correctly with files which have the same name but different
>> content on different distributions or in some cases different versions of
>> the same distribution.
>>

> In my experience I've found that just setting up Squid and telling my
> different machines to use the proxy (Acquire::http::Proxy
> "http://proxy.hostname:3128/";) has been the best pacakge caching
> solution.
>
> Works accross different packaging systems too.

There are a few advantages of using pkg-cacher versus squid:

    It understands the difference between packages (static content) and
metadata files (dynamic content).

    It only keeps a single copy of a package even if it is shared across
multiple distributions. versions or accessed from multiple mirrors.

    Removal of stale packages can be based on whether the package is
referenced by any repositories using the metadata.

This means less downloads and less disk usage. Even a 250 GB disk starts
looking small once you deal with multiple distros, versions and mirrors :-)
>> In order to make installation easy I've setup repositories for 32 and 64 bit
>> versions of CentOS 4, 5 and Fedora 7, 8 and 9.  I'll be producing packages
>> for Debian and Ubuntu as HN later.
>>

> I can help with Debian packages if you need.
>
> Roberto

Thanks for the offer, the only reason I didn't release it at this time
is I didn't have a Debian HN set up for testing yet.  Should be
available in the next day or so.