[Users] How to mount devpts?

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri Oct 24 19:10:32 EDT 2008

Jun,

[top posting]

Ummm, that isn't supposed to work.  You can't just mount an iso image into a container's / directory (aka private directory) and expect to be able to run that as a container.  You need to use an OS Template... which is a stripped down install of the distro that has been modified to run inside of a container.

If you want to migrate a physical machine to a container there is a wiki article on the subject here:

http://wiki.openvz.org/Physical_to_container

If you are wanting to create an OS Template for Ubuntu from scratch, you can find a wiki article on that subject here:

http://wiki.openvz.org/Ubuntu_Hardy_template_creation

If you just want an OS Template for Ubuntu, you can find them for download in the official and the contrib OS Template directories:

http://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/
http://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/contrib/

I have seen some of the templates for download have problems because they started up udev... so if you run into that problem, just keep udev from starting and it goes away.

If you want a fancy / easy way to build an OS Template for Ubuntu, check out vzpkg2 and pkg-cacher.  You can find info on those in the archive of this mailing list from last month.

Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street
Belgrade, MT 59714
(406)388-0827 [home]