[Users] unable to migrate / checkpoint

Stanichenko Marat mstanichenko at openvz.org
Thu Oct 2 13:19:18 EDT 2008

Samuel Tremblay-Cossette wrote on 01.10.2008 23:49:
> Hi,
>
> I'm unable to checkpoint and migrate my VEs. I'm using
> 2.6.24-19-openvz that come with Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> Here is the error message:
>
> root at frontend:~# vzctl chkpnt 2
> Setting up checkpoint...
> 	suspend...
> 	dump...
> Can not dump VE: Invalid argument
> Error: d_path is invisible /dev
> Checkpointing failed

Hello,

I'm not sure how that did happen on your node but that message should
have been appeared when overmount was detected.
I can give a simple example. Let's assume that you have a process that
opend a file /var/log/messages, after that you decide to use "another"
/var  directory and for instance do the bind mount from the HN (mount
--bind /var/ /vz/root/$VEID/var). So, when you try to checkpoint your VE
you get this message.

May be you've started udev after your VE have been started and any
process uses "old" /dev directory?
Do you have a way to reproduce it for sure? Is there a particular
template that leads us to this error message?

Thank You!