[Users] ARP problems when HN and VE are on different subnets (and interfaces)

Jakob Goldbach jakob at goldbach.dk
Sun Mar 23 06:16:38 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have a setup where the HN is running is running with a private IP
address on bond0. The VE is running on vlan2 (on top of bond0) with a
public address.

I've setup source routing the get the venet traffic out on vlan2 and the
HN does proxy arp for the public IP address on vlan2.

This almost works: Another host on the public LAN can communicate with
my VE except when the HN needs to renew its arp entry of that host. Then
the HN uses its bond0 private address on the public vlan2 as source
address in the ARP request. This arp request is ignored by other hosts
on the public vlan. As a result communications freezes but only until
the other host needs to refresh its arp-entry which the HN replies to
and updates its own cache.

Varios settings of proc/../arp_announce does not work as the HN does not
have an IP on vlan2. It falls back to using the IP on bond0.

Is there a way to get the HN to use the IP address of the VE in arp
requests? Or should I completely rethink my setup?

Thanks
/Jakob