AW: [Users] Veth mac generation

Kirill Korotaev dev at parallels.com
Thu Jun 12 20:21:19 EDT 2008

Do I understand correctly that you actually experience the following problem:
1. veth MAC address is lower then your ethX MAC.
2. so brX is assigned min(vethX-MAC, ethX-MAC) which is vethX-MAC.
3. and what is the your problem with that? that host system MAC changes dynamically and networking breaks or what?

I just can't see how fully random 6 bytes MAC can help. Because sometimes it will be "low" enough as well
and you will hit the problem anyway.

If I got your problem right then I can advise you a possible solution - in RHEL5 kernel we have a functionality called
"via_phys_dev" (triggered by BRCTL_SET_VIA_ORIG_DEV ioctl). This forces kernel to work with original
interface ethX (first added to bridge) and pass the traffic to it. This allows to add ethX to bridge w/o need
to propogate it's netfilter rules and other settings to brX.

Thanks,
Kirill