[Users] memory leak in 2.6.18 ovz kernels

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Tue Jul 1 19:06:31 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 01:00 +0400, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> First, I hope you know the difference between memory shortage and memory
> used for buffer/cache. In short: Linux tries to use all unused memory
> for cache -- and if more memory is needed cache is shrunk.

Sure.  But actually it never uses more than a couple hundred megs, even
if it's available (certainly not 6GB).  Also in this case buffer/cache
was driven down to under 100K and the server was using a couple hundred
megs of swap (which is unexpected given it has 8GB of RAM and only using
~2GB under normal circumstances).

Here's what top currently shows:

Mem:   8168892k total,  2161572k used,  6007320k free,   144216k buffers
Swap: 15631236k total,        0k used, 15631236k free,  1125972k cached

which is what I would expect.  I don't have exact numbers now, but
"used" was over 7.6GB at the time.

> Second, can you give us more details regarding "Athlon died after
> exhausting memory"? If it was an oops -- we need its text.

No oops, just lots of processes killed by OOM, including sshd.

> Third, are you using x86_64 kernel? What is your exact kernel version?

Yes, x86_64, kernel version 2.6.18-028.049 (Gentoo).

Currently, running 2.6.24 seems to have fixed it (but I may have to give
it longer to see).

Regards,
Cliff