[Users] ConsoleKit warnings while running inside a VE

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Dec 20 03:30:06 EST 2008

G'day.  I have an Ubuntu 8.10 VE running successfully on one of my
systems, and it all more or less works, with one notable issue:

Some of the software I have installed depends on dbus, which in turn
depends on ConsoleKit, and that generates these warnings and errors:

console-kit-daemon[800]: WARNING: Could not determine active console
console-kit-daemon[800]: WARNING: Error waiting for native console 1 activation: Invalid argument
[... many repetitions elided ...]
console-kit-daemon[800]: CRITICAL: cannot initialize libpolkit

Things /seem/ to be working anyhow, but I am a little concerned that
this is an issue with the VE, and worry that it might come back to cause
me trouble at a later date.

So, can anyone shed light on this — is it something to be concerned
about, and to seek to fix, or is it something that I can silence?

(also, if you know how to shut it up I would be quite pleased. :)

I also expect that this will start to pop up in other VEs I have, since
I understand ConsoleKit to be fairly common in recent distributions, and
DBus is getting more and more popular...

Regards,
        Daniel