[Users] Is there no kernel for i586 CPUs?

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Wed Dec 3 03:54:53 EST 2008

Zitat von Adem <for-gmane at alicewho.com>:

> I found kernels for i486, i686 and K7 etc., but none for i586.
> I now I can use the i486-kernel in a i586 machine,
> but just curious why there is no kernel for i586?

I guess there is simply not much need for it. If you have a real
legacy or some sort of embeded system use the i486, if you have a
machine not older then 10 years use the i686.

> OTOH the 486-kernel (tried fza only) seems to lack the
> ipt_REJECT module (netfilter/iptools), and
> when doing "shutdown -h now" it although halts the machine
> but unfortunately does not power off the machine.
> Bug or feature? :-)

Some features are lacking because no one ported it back. Maybe this
module use high-res timer or the like. For the power-off : Back in the
days of i486 the power-supply has no soft-off (ATX) but only a manual
switch (AT) and i guess most of the others ACPI functions are missing
as well on a typical i486 board from these days.

But why are you trying to use such old HW for OpenVZ ??

Regards

Andreas