[Users] resource limits don't apply immediately on 2.6.24

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Sun Aug 3 15:42:30 EDT 2008

Jan Kokoska wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm used to having resource limits apply immediately on 2.6.18 kernel
> releases of OpenVZ. I run "vzctl set VEID --privvmpages soft:hard
> --save" and "free" in the virtual machine reports the new figure right
> away.
>
> This is not the case on 2.6.24-19-openvz Ubuntu kernel, where
> user_beancounters report the newer figure and the virtual machine
> would report the newer figure if I restarted it, however the change
> doesn't apply online.
>
> Is this a feature or a bug?

First, the thing you need to check is not what free shows -- look at the
appropriate line in /proc/user_beancounters.

What free shows is some kind of approximation, and if it doesn't work
right away first check that vzctl version you use in both cases is the
same. Then check for 'meminfo' setting in VE config. Then report a bug
to bugzilla.openvz.org