[Users] Change IP address inside VE

Christian Hofstaedtler ch+openvz at zeha.at
Thu Apr 24 04:37:58 EDT 2008

* Michael Schwartzkopff <misch at multinet.de> [080424 09:24]:
> due to the nature of a setup I have I have to change the IP address of my
> virtual server from inside the virtual server. Better: I want to add a
> cluster IP address to the interface.

> Is this possible from within the virtual server to setup the ip address? What
> is the parameter
> vzctl set 500 --capability net_admin:on
> good for? How can I use it?

I think you've got two options:
1) You can use VETH devices instead of VENET. VETH is a more strict
seperation of the network stuff, and full IP configuration is
available in the VE.

2) _If_ you only want this VIP on _ONE_ host node, you probably can
manually set up routing and ARP on the host node for your VIP, and
then just use ifconfig inside the VEs. Haven't tried this out, but
I'd assume it works.

Christian