[Users] OpenVZ template confusion

Sean Whitney sean at visionary-networks.com
Wed Apr 23 16:47:01 EDT 2008

Background:

I have 2 server the HN on one is Ubuntu the other is RH5.  I have
created a usable ubuntu template for our environment by modifying a
ubuntu template from the Openvz webpage.  Within the template I have
included our developer's accounts, to include ssh keys.  I created
this template on our ubuntu server and it works great, I can create a
new VE, and login using my ssh keys as soon as it's started.

I copied this template to our RH5 server and it mostly works as
expected all I had to change the /etc/ssh/sshd_config to only allow
ipv4 binding to port 22.  However, my user accounts in the ubuntu VE
are foobar.

For example, within the ubuntu template  the uids for alice, bob, and
carol are 1000, 1001 and 1002, respectively.  These same users have
accounts on the RH5 HN server, but their uid are 500, 501, and 502 .
When I create the new VE, alice's home directory is owned by uid 501,
bob's is owned by uid 502, but carol's is correctly owned by uid 1002.

My assumption is when the "vzctl create" command is used somehow tar
is "correcting" the file ownership in the VE to align with the HN.

So,

1) Is it reasonable to "precreate" these accounts within the custom
image for our internal use or should I forgo this idea.
2) Is there some step, that I have missed that ensures that user
directories are created with the right UID/GID?
3) Is this a configuration issue somewhere that I have fubarred?
4) Is this a bug?

Sean
Sean Whitney
PMB #120, 16505A SE First Street