[Users] 32bit vztools and 64bit kernel

Alexander GQ Gerasiov gq at cs.msu.su
Mon Apr 21 10:42:40 EDT 2008

Hello again.

I'm experimenting with openvz and found one more issue.
I'm using 32bit system Debian Lenny i386. Kernel compiled for i686
processor with vz-tools for i386 arch works ok, but when I tried to
boot into x86_64 kernel (with the same 32bit userspace) vztools said
strange things:

root at vice:~# ls /var/lib/vzquota/
root at vice:~# vzctl --verbose start 1001
Starting VE ...
Initializing quota ...
VE is mounted
Error: kernel does not support user resources. Please, rebuild with
CONFIG_USER_RESOURCE=y
VE start failed
Received signal:  11 in /usr/sbin/vzquota
Error: Unable to apply new quota values quota not running
Received signal:  11 in /usr/sbin/vzquota
VE is unmounted

If I turn off vz's disk quotas I see

root at vice:~# vzctl --verbose start 1001
Starting VE ...
Initializing quota ...
VE is mounted
Error: kernel does not support user resources. Please, rebuild with
CONFIG_USER_RESOURCE=y
VE start failed
VE is unmounted

So I see 3 problems here:
1st. vzquota segfaults. Not really bad, but looks dirty a bit.
2nd. vzctl says something about CONFIG_USER_RESOURCE which is no longer
used as I can see (It's absent in any Kconfig, but still used in tcp
code patched with openvz patch)
3d. Finally 32bit userspace doesn't work with 64bit kernel. That's
terrible %)

Am I right? How should I submit it to bugzilla? 3 different bugs or a
single one?

--
Best regards,
 Alexander GQ Gerasiov

 Contacts:
 e-mail:    gq at cs.msu.su             Jabber:  gq at jabber.ru
 Homepage:  http://gq.net.ru         ICQ:     7272757
 PGP fingerprint: 0628 ACC7 291A D4AA 6D7D  79B8 0641 D82A E3E3 CE1D