[Users] Running DHCP on VPS, ( on a router.. )

Dariush Pietrzak ml-openvz-eyck at kuszelas.com
Wed Sep 26 02:05:12 EDT 2007

Hello,
 I'm having problems with setting up a dhcp server on vps, I figured out
I need to create veth device, and then bridge it to the eth0.107 interface
that I would like to serve dhcp on.
 And it sometimes works, but more often then not my dhcp is ignoring
requests, not to mention - when I put up a second dhcp on way slower
physical machine, it manages to always respond first, even though it's few
switch hops further away..

 So I figured I'd give this VPS a physical interface to work with, but when
I do that, that device disappears from the HN, which is not very good since
I'm supposed to be routing packets coming from this interface.

 Is there a way to stop such physical IF from disappearing from the HN? I
do understand security implications of such setup, I need this to work.

Here's my setup:
on HN, debian's /etc/network/interfaces:

auto br107
iface br107 inet static
      bridge_ports eth0.107
      bridge_maxwait 3
	    address 192.168.0.0
	    netmask 255.255.255.0
	    network 192.168.0.0
	    broadcast 192.168.0.255

the same on VPS:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.251
	        netmask 255.255.255.0
		network 192.168.0.0
		broadcast 192.168.0.255
		gateway 192.168.0.254

vps.conf:

NETIF="ifname=eth0,mac=00:18:51:6F:E6:41,host_ifname=veth107.0,host_mac=00:18:51:1C:F7:1D"

firewallOne:/home/eyck# less /etc/vz/vznet.conf
#!/bin/sh

EXTERNAL_SCRIPT="/etc/vz/add-bridges"
firewallOne:/home/eyck# less /etc/vz/add-bridges
#!/bin/sh
brctl addif br107 veth107.0
ifconfig veth107.0 up

--
Key fingerprint = 40D0 9FFB 9939 7320 8294  05E0 BCC7 02C4 75CC 50D9
 Total Existance Failure