[Users] Debian - Odd, hopefully minor, machine name / prompt issue

Jim Archer jim at archer.net
Wed Sep 12 01:46:13 EDT 2007

Hi All...

I just upgraded the kernel on my machine from:

actual:/home/jim/openvz/kernels# uname -a
Linux actual.registrationtek.com 2.6.18-openvz-12-1etch1-amd64 #1 SMP Fri
May 4 23:37:24 MSD 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

vps5000:~# uname -a
Linux vps5000.regtek.com 2.6.18-openvz-13-39.1d1-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Sep 3
10:11:00 MSD 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I did this because I have been having a memory consumption problem with
Exim4 I was hoping to resolve.  I had been told that the Exim4 memory issue
was a known issue and was fixed in later kernels.

Anyhow, I installed the new kernel using dpkg -i and it seems to install
fine, with no warnings or errors.  It boots and runs fine, even iSCSI.
But, the odd issue is that the machine name in the prompt is wrong.  As you
can see from above, it went from:

actual#

vps5000#

The name of the machine in /etc/hostname is actual and vps5000 is the
highest number vps I have.  Is this a serious issue or can I safely ignore
it?

Thanks...

Jim