[Users] Unable to start VPS on Debian Etch

Roberto Mello roberto.mello at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 11:10:29 EDT 2007

I am unable to start a VPS under a Debian Etch host. I can't find any
useful message as to why it's failing to start the VPS on
/var/log/vzctl.log.

The machine is a dual quad-core Xeon (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5345 @
2.33GHz). I used the debian-4.0-i386-minimal.tar.gz template from
openvz.org to create the VE.

Here's what I get when I try to start the VE:

michael:/etc/vz# vzctl --verbose start 101
Unable to open /usr/lib/vzctl/modules/: No such file or directory
Starting VPS ...
Mounting root: /srv/vz/root/101 /srv/vz/private/101
VPS is mounted
VPS start failed
Running: /usr/sbin/vzquota stat 101 -f
VPS is unmounted

Kernel:

Linux michael 2.6.18-openvz-13-39.1d1-amd64 #1 SMP Sat Sep 29 15:02:55
MSD 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I grabbed the kernel from
http://download.openvz.org/kernel/debian/etch/ and put it in place
manually because the package wouldn't install because I am running a
32-bit userland, but wanted the 64 bit kernel. It did kernel panic for
me yesterday when trying to do something on OpenVZ (I can't remember
what it was unfortunately).

And here are the VZ modules I have loaded. /etc/init.d/vz has been
started successfully:

michael:/etc/vz# lsmod | grep vz
vznetdev 26752 1
vzethdev 17040 0
vzrst 129832 0
ip_nat 24720 1 vzrst
vzcpt 109368 0
ip_conntrack 72596 3 vzrst,ip_nat,vzcpt
vzdquota 47464 0 [permanent]
vzmon 50448 4 vznetdev,vzethdev,vzrst,vzcpt
vzdev 8456 4 vznetdev,vzethdev,vzdquota,vzmon
ipv6 298208 29 vzrst,vzcpt,vzmon

I don't know what else to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Roberto