[Users] boot error - unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0, 0)

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue Oct 16 08:45:19 EDT 2007

Ian jonhson wrote:
>> You probably configured your kernel incorrectly (missing initrd, device
>> of filesystem drivers?). Try installing a pre-built kernel image
>> instead, it's more likely to be bootable without problems.
>>

> Where can I get the pre-built kernel image?

http://debian.systs.org I suppose. The wiki page you referred gives info
about how to configure this.
> After install the kernel-patch, the system compiled the kernel and
> created the optional item in
> /boot/grub/menu.lst. What I had done is under the instructions of
> openvz wiki. Is there something wrong?

These instructions are OpenVZ-specific, i.e. they only recommend
openvz-specific options in kernel config. Any other kernel config
options (there are a lot of) are on your own. One simple example of what
could be done wrong -- if you haven't enabled support for SATA disks,
and your HDD is SATA you are in trouble.

So, if you are not experienced in kernel recompilation, you'd be better
of with precompiled kernel.
> Thanks in advance.

Hope that helps,
  Kir.