[Users] Logging traffic stats for VEs

Thorsten Schifferdecker tsd at debian.systs.org
Wed May 9 13:51:17 EDT 2007

Hi Ian,

a) use the /proc/net/dev of your VE:

# vzctl exec <VEID> grep venet0 /proc/net/dev | cut -d":" -f2 | awk
'{print $1"\n"$9}'

xxx
xxx

b) or, VE has enabled sysfs:

# vzctl exec <VEID> cat /sys/class/net/venet0/statistics/{r,t}x_bytes

xxx
xxx

a) and b) prints netstats of VE-netdev venet0, in and out in bytes, so
you can put these stats in a a rrd or in a sql database, a old howto
which use a) can be found at
http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&th=261&start=0&

Hope this helps,
Thorsten Schifferdecker