[Users] error from RkHunter and ChkRootKit

Gregor Mosheh gregor at hostgis.com
Tue May 8 10:40:51 EDT 2007

> Markus Hardiyanto <informatics2k1 at yahoo.com> writes:
>> I install RkHunter and ChkRootKit inside VE.
>> Performing 'known good' check...
>> /bin/kill  [ BAD ]
(etc)
> Yes and no -- those are modified from the standard packages you would
> have in a normal system, but the modification is to be expected with

Thanks for the reply on this. Starting over the next few days, I was about
to implement our policy of using chkrootkit and rkhunter on customer VEs.
so this was good to know ahead of time.

What is the nature of the modifications, and to which files? We're running
Slackware (actuallly, HostGIS Linux, which is Slackware-based) using a
hand-made template cache I made per some directions I found in the Wiki.
So if some binaries need to be modified, that'd be good to know too.

>> from ChkRootKit:
>> Checking `lkm'... You have    74 process hidden for readdir command
>> chkproc: Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed
> Again, probably expected: the proc file system within the VE isn't
> identical to a physical system.

Right. Still a scary message to receive. What is the nature of the
discrepancy here? What would show up in the VE's /proc area that wouldn't
also show up in their ps output?

More importantly: Is it even possible for a VE to load a kernel module at
all? Or is a LKM check completely irrelelvant in a VE context?

--
HostGIS
Cartographic development and hosting services

"Remember that no one cares if you can back up, only if you can restore."
- AMANDA