[Users] Problems w/ busybox's init in VPS

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue Mar 27 16:13:46 EDT 2007

Let's move the discussion to devel@ list. I'm now posting to both, but
please remove users@ when replying.

Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Enrico Weigelt <weigelt at metux.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

>> I've got problems with booting an busybox-based VPS: init does
>> not seem to do anything (at least it does not run the boot
>> scripts) ?
>>

> I strace'd a little bit, and there are some strange things
> going on:
>
> * init tries to write to fd -1 ! (maybe it didn't get some
>   valid stdio passed on startup)

Perhaps it tried to open /dev/console and failed (open() returned -1).
> * it tries to do some tty specific ioctl()'s on fd 0, which
>   doesn't seem to be an tty (at least it gets ENOTTY)

Again that should probably be /dev/console (in case no fds are open the
first successful open() _usually_ returns 0).
> * when reading /etc/inittab, it gets fd 0, so it seems no
>   other fd's (ie. stdin, stdout, stderr) are open !

This (the absense of stdin/out/err) is probably perfectly valid -- since
init does not have a parent process, nobody would read/write those fds.
> * when trying to open /dev/console, it gets permission denied.

Ah-ha, probably that is the root of the problem. What if you will create
an empty text file named /dev/console?