[Users] OpenVZ in xen

Kirill Korotaev dev at sw.ru
Mon Mar 26 09:21:30 EDT 2007

Daniel,

> I've done some first steps with OpenVZ. I like the speed and that it use
> less resources from host as xen. But the only distribution which works
> from the box is SuSE.
Do you mean the only distribution OpenVZ works with?
Or you mean that you like SuSE and it the only distro which is working for you? :)

> Now many of my boxes run SuSE with xen, but I like
> to run also OpenVZ. Is it possible to run OpenVZ in a domU from xen?
1. Most easy way is to replace SuSE kernel with OpenVZ one.
2. It is possible to run OpenVZ in a domU, but for this you need
   to apply Xen patches on top of OpenVZ. This works, but requires some
   efforts, i.e. not out of the box :/
   Actually, after applying Xen patches you can run OpenVZ both in domU and dom0.

Thanks,
Kirill