[Users] OpenVZ vs. vserver

Darryl Ross spam at afoyi.com
Thu Mar 22 21:59:04 EDT 2007

[Ian P. Christian wrote on 23/03/2007 8:06 AM]:
> Enrico Weigelt wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> does anyone known an good compasiron between OVZ + vserver ?
>> I need an virtualization within embedded systems (small devices).
>
> I'm not sure this will help - but when I was looking at various
> visualizations systems, I decided vserver wasn't an option very quickly
> when I noticed it didn't do migrations.

Coming from the other direction, I've been using linux-vserver for a
couple of years now and have recently started a job where we are using
openvz.

I've not been able to get migrations working in openvz at all. I just
end up using the same process I use under linux-vserver to migrate
guests between machines: rsync once, rsync a second time (to reduce the
time stopped), stop the guest, resync a third time, start guest on new host.

I also have some other issues with openvz as well.

One is related to the resource limits -- every guest I've built I've had
to play with the limits to get the software I need to run. The defaults
just don't seem usable.

One other thing, which isn't really a major issue, just an annoyance, is
that if I run netstat or ps on the host it shows me all of the sockets
open and programs running, even those inside the guests, whereas under
linux-vserver the host machine is a context in it's own right, so they
are hidden.

My only issue with linux-vserver is the lack of network interface
virtualisation, but I've been working around that for so long it's not
really that much of an issue for me.

My recommendation at this point is still towards linux-vserver. I'm
planning on migrating work away from openvz back to linux-vserver as well.

Regards
Darryl