[Users] Using veth on debian

Nils Domrose nils at domrose.net
Mon Mar 5 13:02:03 EST 2007

Hi all,

today i need setup a Virtual Server with a veth device since a
commercial Software required a Mac Address for the license.

I think that it won't be the lasttime that we require such a setup
(unfortunately), therfore I put some more effort into the scripts and
added information to the wiki.

http://wiki.openvz.org/Virtual_Ethernet_device

I basicaly change the vznetaddroute script mentioned in the wiki:

#!/bin/bash

VZCONFDIR=/etc/vz
VZHOSTIF=$BASH_ARGV

. $VZCONFDIR/conf/$VEID.conf

if [ -n $VETH_IP_ADDRESS ]; then
         echo "Adding interface $VZHOSTIF and route $VETH_IP_ADDRESS
for VE$VEID to VE0"
         /sbin/ifconfig $VZHOSTIF 0
         echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/$VZHOSTIF/proxy_arp
         echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/$VZHOSTIF/forwarding
         /sbin/ip route add $VETH_IP_ADDRESS dev $VZHOSTIF
else
         echo "found no VETH_IP_ADDRESS in  $VZCONFDIR/conf/$VEID.conf!"
         exit 1;
fi
exit

with this little script one is finaly able to just apply changes to
the VE's config file by adding a VETH_IP_ADDRESS variable including
the desired IP Address, the rest is done by the script.

I decided to not include the sysctl / proc settings for forwarding
and proxy arp into this script since I prefere the /etc/networks/
interfaces way.

e.g.

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
         address 10.1.1.1
         netmask 255.255.255.0
         network 10.1.1.0
         broadcast 10.1.1.255
         gateway 10.215.1.254
         dns-nameservers 10.215.1.20
         dns-search prod.your.domain
         up sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.eth0.proxy_arp=1
         up sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.eth0.forwarding=1

Hope this helps someone ;-)

Nils Domrose