[Users] Exim 4 crashes kernel on Debian Etch 64bit

Jim Archer jim at archer.net
Fri Jun 29 18:31:14 EDT 2007

Hi All...

I'm running OpenVZ on a Debian Etch 64bit machine, with this prebuilt
kernel:

actual:~# uname -a
Linux actual.xxxxxxxx.com 2.6.18-openvz-12-1etch1-amd64 #1 SMP Fri May 4
23:37:24 MSD 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

One of the VPSs is dedicated as a mail server, which is running Exim4,
Spamd, clamd, freshclam and sshd.  Every few weeks, for no apparent reason,
the VPS exceeds its kmemsize and Exim will behave strangely.  What's
disturbing, though, is that restarting the VPS does not solve the problem
and, in fact, often causes the entire machine to be unstable.  The only way
out of this is a reboot.

I wish I had more information to offer, but I'm not sure what to look for.
Can anyone assist?  I'm happy to run some tests if it will help.

Thanks very much.