[Users] openvz and 2.6.20

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue Jul 31 11:09:34 EDT 2007

DULMANDAKH Sukhbaatar wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I'm new to openvz, and trying to install openvz on ubuntu 7.04. But
> I'm having some problems that I cannot describe here.
>
> Is openvz for 2.6.20 kernel is stable? Here
> http://openvz.org/news/announcements/kernel-2.6.20-20070328 I see that
> it's already stable, and usable.
It is usable, but _probably_ not quite stable, and the text doesn't say
that it is stable. What it says is that "software [is] for the most
recent stable Linux kernel 2.6.20", meaning the mainstream kernel 2.6.20
is stable, but not the OpenVZ kernel based on it.
>  But
> http://wiki.openvz.org/Download_kernel_2.6.20 and
> http://openvz.org/download/kernel/ says that it's not stable yet.

That's right.
> Which one is the true information? If it is stable, can I install it
> on Ubuntu feisty? Is anyone had success running openvz on ubuntu?
You definitely can install this on Ububtu, some info is available from
http://wiki.openvz.org/Installation_on_Debian (I guess it will work fine
for Ubuntu). Still, I recommend to use our stable branch, 2.6.18-based,
unless you really want to be on the bleeding edge.

Kir.