[Users] Resource limit question

Romeo Theriault romeo.theriault at maine.edu
Sat Jan 27 00:34:42 EST 2007

Hi, I've fairly recently started using Openvz on a server I manage, and have
been very pleased with it thus far. Thank you for making this project freely
availble.

The server I am working with has a dual-core AMD64 cpu with 2 gigs of ram
with the sata hard-drives in a Raid 1. I've split up the config files using
vzsplit -n 12 -s 0 -f vps.mytest, evenly splitting up the hardware
resources.

In one of the vps's I'm running a database, in a few others I'm running some
web-based applications, etc...

Slowly I've been noticing different vps's are trying to allocate more than
their share of the resources occuring in counts to the user_beancounter
file.

So I'll go in an allocate more resources to the specified parameter of the
overreaching vps, and this seems to work fine.

But my question is, is this a good idea? If so how much "extra" resources
are recommended to allocate to these VPS's that want more? I am not wanting
to affect the stability of the other VPS's by allocating more than needed to
any one given VPS.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions/recommendeds on how other people deal
with this. Do I just need to allocate less total VPS's to this machine. As
well as possible pointers to better documentation on this than the User
Guide provides.

Thanks,

Romeo