[Users] Re: VPS not isolated

Wolfgang Schnerring wosc at wosc.de
Mon Jan 22 04:11:28 EST 2007

* Thorsten Schifferdecker <ts at systs.org>:
> Wolfgang Schnerring wrote:
>> I've encountered a rather strange behaviour of OpenVZ:
>> The host is a Debian Sarge system running a vanilla 2.6.18 kernel that
>> I've patched with patch-ovz028test010.1-combined. The guest system is
>> a minimal Debian Sarge image, the config file is below.
>>
>> When I vzctl start the VPS, I had expected that the VPS is started in
>> the background and the command then returns to the shell, but that's
>> not what happens: Instead I am logged out from the console I just
>> used, I see messages from init, just like they appear on boot
>> ("starting sshd... done, starting inetd... done", and so on) and
>> finally get another login prompt for the HN.
>
> Did you self-create your debian-sarge os-template ?

Yes, I've created that template myself. And "unfortunately" it works perfectly
fine on another machine.

I've just tried to use a precreated Sarge template (from
http://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/debian-3.1-i386-minimal.tar.gz)
but it shows the exact same behaviour.

> Still exist in this ve some tty dev-files (ls -l
> /vm/vm25710/private/dev/tty*)

Yes, there are lots of tty dev-files in the template. Could that be a problem?
As an experiment, I've removed them, but this did not change the behaviour at
all.

> Can you execute a ps in your VE, like
> # vzctl exec <VEID> ps axf
> and only the VE process are shown ?

No, this shows all processes.

I'm grateful for any hints on how to debug this issue.

Thanks,
Wolfgang