[Users] VPS not isolated

Wolfgang Schnerring wosc at wosc.de
Sat Jan 20 02:32:08 EST 2007

Hello!

I've encountered a rather strange behaviour of OpenVZ:
The host is a Debian Sarge system running a vanilla 2.6.18 kernel that
I've patched with patch-ovz028test010.1-combined. The guest system is
a minimal Debian Sarge image, the config file is below.

When I vzctl start the VPS, I had expected that the VPS is started in
the background and the command then returns to the shell, but that's
not what happens: Instead I am logged out from the console I just
used, I see messages from init, just like they appear on boot
("starting sshd... done, starting inetd... done", and so on) and
finally get another login prompt for the HN.
When I then vzctl enter the VPS (which sometimes fails with the error
"cannot open PTY") and do a "ps aux", I see all processes from the HN,
not only those of the VPS.
When I vzctl stop the VPS, I again see messages from init which end in
"sending KILL signal to all processes" -- and then the machine
freezes.
Examining the syslog is not very enlightening, but there are a few
totally garbled entries like this
   Jan 19 15:22:29 amun2 kernel: 2:  I6 rours esent
(I think that was supposed read "no IPv6 routers present")

The same guest image and vz-configuration work fine on another machine
(which is Debian Testing instead of Sarge, and runs a Debian kernel
instead of a vanilla one).
To me, the whole thing looks like the VPS is not properly isolated
from the HN, and its init somehow instead is started on the HN or
something. But that's of course just a guess.

I am rather stumped on how to debug this issue and would greatly
appreciate any help.

Thanks very much,
Wolfgang

# VPS config file, based on ve-vps.basic.conf-sample
ONBOOT="no"

# UBC parameters (in form of barrier:limit)
# Primary parameters
AVNUMPROC="40:40"
NUMPROC="65:65"
NUMTCPSOCK="80:80"
NUMOTHERSOCK="80:80"
VMGUARPAGES="6144:2147483647"
# Secondary parameters
KMEMSIZE="2752512:2936012"
TCPSNDBUF="319488:524288"
TCPRCVBUF="319488:524288"
OTHERSOCKBUF="132096:336896"
DGRAMRCVBUF="132096:132096"
OOMGUARPAGES="6144:2147483647"
# Auxiliary parameters
LOCKEDPAGES="32:32"
SHMPAGES="8192:8192"
PRIVVMPAGES="49152:53575"
NUMFILE="2048:2048"
NUMFLOCK="100:110"
NUMPTY="16:16"
NUMSIGINFO="256:256"
DCACHESIZE="1048576:1097728"

PHYSPAGES="0:2147483647"
NUMIPTENT="128:128"

# Disk quota parameters (in form of softlimit:hardlimit)
DISKSPACE="1048576:1153434"
DISKINODES="200000:220000"
QUOTATIME="0"

# CPU fair scheduler parameter