[Users] Can I share host ip with guest?

Peter Machell peter at machell.net
Fri Dec 21 05:40:43 EST 2007

On 21/12/2007, at 8:13 PM, H.H. Ding wrote:

> Because lack of ip address, I want share host os ip with guest os,
> howto?

You cannot have two devices with the same IP address on one network.
This is a fundamental law of networking and there is no way around it.

However, by using an internal IP address on the guests, and port
forwarding from the host, you can still present your services to the
Internet from the one external IP.

The instructions at http://wiki.openvz.org/Using_NAT_for_VE_with_private_IPs
  will show you how to do this.

However, I find it easier to have a NAT router above the host
terminating the external IP, and use internal IPs on the same subnet
for both the host and the guests.

I hope this helps.

regards,
Peter.