[Users] 64-bit host, 32-bit guests and iptables

Kirill Korotaev dev at sw.ru
Fri Dec 21 03:11:02 EST 2007

Cliff Wells wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 16:47 +0100, Listaccount wrote:
>

>>Would be nice as we plan to move all hosts to 64-bit but have 32-bit
>>guests at least for a while.
>

> Out of curiosity, why would you run 64-bit guests?  It seems to me that
> in a memory-constrained environment such as a VE (assuming you're
> allocating less than 4GB of RAM to it) 64-bit would be wasteful.

Hmm... Good question :@)
Maybe people tend to think 64bit is always better :@)

Really there are some 64bit operations which are faster
(maybe SSL and similar CPU-intensive operations),
so may have sense using 64bit environments. Or for big databases
and other applications requiring huge address space.
But not always, you are right.

> Personally I think the 64-bit host/32-bit guest setup is the best of
> both worlds.

maybe. I have no real data about memory usage nor CPU usage differences.

> Of course, I'm assuming you're using ovz to slice up a host (i.e. for
> shared hosting) versus using it in a more specialized application (in
> which case 64-bit guests might make sense).

Thanks,
Kirill