[Users] 64-bit host, 32-bit guests and iptables

Kirill Korotaev dev at sw.ru
Thu Dec 20 11:47:12 EST 2007

>>2.6.24 is developed for Ubuntu Long Term Support Server
>>and won't have new OVZ features compared to 2.6.18.
>>i.e. we are currently very much commited to 2.6.18-RHEL5
>>and will add features there (even to stable branch) as long as needed.
>

> Does this mean that the 32-bit iptables problems on 64-bit hosts will
> be fixed in 2.6.18 OpenVZ kernel?

MUST be fixed (the only known big problem is ipt_ULOG).
There was a number of compats added in latests kernels to fix 32/64 issues.
What exact problems do you refer to? Can you point to them or to bug you have in mind?

> Would be nice as we plan to move all hosts to 64-bit but have 32-bit
> guests at least for a while.

That's common usage scenario and we do our best to support it as good as possible.

Thanks,
Kirill