[Users] init output

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at maurer-it.com
Tue Dec 11 07:36:23 EST 2007

OK, tried it both ways, but output is truncated by vzctl stop.

For example the following init script:

-----------------
#!/bin/sh

# file must be there - create it
echo >/var/log/init.log
export CONSOLE=/var/log/init.log
exec /sbin/init.org

-----------------

then I start the VE and try to view the log:

> vzctl start 777

> tail -100f /var/lib/vz/root/777/var/log/init.log
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
/etc/rcS.d/S03udev: line 265: echo: write error: Operation not permitted
Activating swap...done.
mount: permission denied
Cleaning up ifupdown....

That works quite good so far, but when I stop the VE the file gets
truncated:

tail: /var/lib/vz/root/777/var/log/init.log: file truncated

Any idea why? I already searched the sysvinit code sources, but found
nothing there.

- Dietmar