[Users] Unable to talk to outside networks.

Aravind Gottipati aravind at freeshell.org
Mon Dec 3 16:15:56 EST 2007

Hi,

We have quite a few private networks and need VEs to talk to them.
The openvz HN has one bonded interface (bond0) and a bunch of virtual
interfaces (bond0.60, bond0.81 etc) on each of these networks (setup
as vlans).  I have a bunch of real servers sitting on the 10.2.81/24
and the 10.2.74/24 subnets.  These servers can talk to each other.
The HN itself has an ip of 10.2.81.92 and can talk to servers in the
10.2.74/24 subnets

I have a VE sitting in the 10.2.81/24 network with an ip of
10.2.81.101.  This server can ping and talk to other servers in the
10.2.81/24 network.  However, it is unable to talk to anything in the
10.2.74/24 network.  With tcpdump, I see the requests go out on the HN
and the responses coming in to the virtual interface (bond0.81) on the
HN.  However, it appears that none of these packets make it back to
the VE.  I have verified the the appropriate sysctl parameters are
setup.  Forwarding in enabled and there are no firewall rules (in
iptables).  I looked at some basic debugging (with help from the irc
chanel) and I see that the FORWARD policy packet count doesn't seem to
go up.

What information should I be looking at to figure this out or what can
I provide to help debug this.

Thank you,

Aravind.