[Users] error using vi in VE but no beans?

Steve Hodges shodges at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 26 21:00:34 EDT 2007

If I try to use vi in one of my VEs, I get an odd error, but the
/proc/user_beancounters don't show any errors, so I'm not sure what I'm
exceeding.

Here is the error vi spits out:

E297: Write error in swap file
E303: Unable to open swap file for "rc.local", recovery impossible
"rc.local" 17 lines, 387 characters
Press ENTER or type command to continue

and here is my user_beanconters immediately after I quit out of vi:

root at ftp:/var/run# cat /proc/user_beancounters
Version: 2.5
       uid  resource           held    maxheld    barrier      limit
failcnt
      106:  kmemsize        1167508    1524641    2752512
2936012          0
            lockedpages           0          0         32
32          0
            privvmpages       14146      21232      40960
81960          0
            shmpages             57         57       8192
8192          0
            dummy                 0          0          0
0          0
            numproc              30         39         96
96          0
            physpages          2798       3561          0
2147483647          0
            vmguarpages           0          0       6144
2147483647          0
            oomguarpages       2798       3561       6144
2147483647          0
            numtcpsock            6          8         80
80          0
            numflock              1          4        100
110          0
            numpty                1          1         16
16          0
            numsiginfo            0          2        256
256          0
            tcpsndbuf             0      51060     319488
524288          0
            tcprcvbuf             0       2220     319488
524288          0
            othersockbuf       4440      10000     132096
336896          0
            dgramrcvbuf           0        684     132096
132096          0
            numothersock          4         12        120
120          0
            dcachesize            0          0    1048576
1097728          0
            numfile             582        731       2048
2048          0
            dummy                 0          0          0
0          0
            dummy                 0          0          0
0          0
            dummy                 0          0          0
0          0
            numiptent            14         14        128
128          0

It might be something really obvious, but I'm not seeing it :-(

This doesn't happen in all of my VE's so I guess it must be something to
do with the amount of memory I have allocated to this one (or
something), but nothing seems to be getting too close to the limit.

Steve