[Users] openvz naming conventions; numeric vs symbolic

Steve Hodges shodges at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 15 20:00:35 EDT 2007

On 16/08/2007 6:14 AM, Steve Wray wrote:

> vzctl does respect the given 'name' however vzquota does not appear to
> and seems to require the numeric id.

I have a similar issue with scripts that need to convert from the VEID
or VE Name to either the VEID, the VE Name, or host name.

I've written this simple script to do the conversions for me.  It's
handy in scripts, but may be useful where your list of VE's is too large
to simply scan the vzlist for the information you need.

/usr/local/bin/vmid
- - - - - - - -
#!/bin/bash

if [ "${1}" == "" ]; then
  echo "$0 {veid|name} [-i|-n|-h]"
  echo "        -i returns id \(default\)"
  echo "        -n returns name"
  echo "        -h returns host name"
  exit 1
fi

case "$2" in
  "" | "-i")
    PARM=veid
    ;;
  "-n")
    PARM=name
    ;;
  "-h")
    PARM=hostname
    ;;
  *)
    echo Bad parameter $2
    exit 1
    ;;
esac

VM_ID=`vzlist -o ${PARM} -H -N ${1} | sed -e "s/ //g"`

if [ "${VM_ID}" == "" ]; then
  VM_ID=`vzlist -o ${PARM} -H ${1} | sed -e "s/ //g"`
fi

if [ "${VM_ID}" == "" ]; then
  exit 1
else
  echo ${VM_ID}
  exit 0
fi

Since my scripts can be passed either the veid or the vename, I might
code something like this:

ping $(vmid $1 -h)

more practically I use it to access things like the config files that
are named according to the VEID.

Steve