[Users] DVD burning in a VE

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Aug 5 21:40:01 EDT 2007

Steve Hodges <shodges at iinet.net.au> writes:

> Is it possible to access /dev/hdc from a VE?
>
> One of my environments (the central backup server) needs to be able to
> burn collections of backups to a dvd.
>
> I tried to solve this by creating the device in the VE (mknod -m 660
> /dev/hdc b 22 0) but I still get a permission error;
>
> It tells me:  unable to open64("/dev/hdc",O_RDONLY): Permission denied
>
> Ir all works fine outside the VE.
>
> I suspect this may be something I can't do in a VE, but I thought I'd
> ask :-)

You can -- see the 'devices' and 'devnodes' settings in vzctl.

The process is that you grant access to specific devices to a specific
VE and, once that is done, the kernel allows them to access the device
directly.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/