[Users] Re: 64-bit stability?

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Fri Apr 27 05:50:01 EDT 2007

GM> How stable is OpenVZ considered on 64-bit platforms, specifically
GM> Intel Xeons? I did some searches on the site, but couldn't find
GM> anything solid on the subject, only mention of "fixes"

GM> I ask because the tech who's setting up our hardware "had a
GM> problem with installing OpenVZ" If OpenVZ on 64-bit is known to be
GM> solid, then I'll prod him for some more specific errors and see
GM> whether we can get this to happen.

The OpenVZ kernel parts work very nicely on 64-bit. We have both
32-bit and 64-bit guests on a 64-bit kernel. The userland tools on the
other hand work very poorly with 64-bit userland in the host. The
template generation in particular is broken completely.

The next server I install with OpenVZ will be 64-bit kernel, 32-bit
userland in the host, and 32-bit guests. It will be interesting to see
how well that works.

/Benny